History of St. Rose Catholic School
In 1845 the first Catholics settled in Lima, Ohio, and were connected to the Diocese of Cleveland. For years, the Catholics of Lima were able to go to mass only when a priest from the Precious Blood Congregation would come to Lima. Otherwise, the mass was offered in someone’s home. As Lima grew, the Catholic population grew. Father Kreusch was in charge of the congregation and organizing a parish in Lima. In 1856, he began raising funds for construction of the first church which was to be named after St. Rose of Lima, Peru. The church was completed in 1858.
In 1865, the first parish school was built on West Street and was staffed by two lay teachers. The Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary assumed the teaching duties in 1868 until 1872. At this time, the original school was moved to the site of the old high school and enlarged.
In 1888, a three-story brick school was built next to the church on West Street. A three-year high school course was started in 1895, with classes being held on the third floor of the grade school building. The front section of the old high school was built in 1906. It housed the high school and the parish groups and included a small gymnasium and swimming pool. A fourth year course was added to the high school making it fully accredited in 1914.
In 1951, new classrooms were constructed in the basement of the grade school building. In 1952, a new addition was built onto the convent. By December 31, 1952, a cornerstone for a new grade school building was laid and blessed. The building, which included twelve classrooms, a cafeteria, and some offices, was dedicated on April 11, 1954. This is the same building that St. Rose Catholic School still occupies today.
Lima Central Catholic was built in 1956, and that is when St. Rose Catholic High School changed to a grade school with classes being offered through eighth grade. The school continues to serve elementary grades PreK-8 today.
In the Spring of 2016, St. Rose Catholic Parish began restoration of the church, then the fall of 2016, construction began of the new Parish Center and gymnasium. This construction included three additional classrooms on the second floor.